CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, April 12, 2012

BIG CITY DINER'S Lane Muraoka

Big City Diner's Lane Muraoka is the brainchild of one of Hawaii's most popular food establishments. Since I'm from Maui, the local foods here aren't as vast as in Honolulu, though my family owned restaurants that were very successful, they didn't stand the test of time, they folded, and sorry that somehow, they did not have a greater vision to sustain their businesses, because all of their endeavors were excellent, serving local food, Chinese cuisine, that I believe if was managed right, they would still be in business today. Though they were very successful, they failed at the same time. Studying business, and the past two years learning about business from successful people, rule number one, you don't sell out, or run your biz to the ground, not when you got a line out your door. Sadly, my family had lines out the door, but only to sell out, leaving Maui craving for better food.


A friend of mine Terry Shibao told me, "Ron if you want to get into business, you don't want to be just a tax write off, and you don't want to be a popular item and then sell it without looking at the big picture, and remember Ron that everything in this business life... well it's all negotiable. The winners know how to negotiate, and recreate, always imagining, business Ron is imagination, it is people before you, that is what makes them successful, they value people, they value ideas, and they know how to negotiate."


So after many failed attempts at my own business, mostly in media and food videos, I had to step back, I was and still am in a financial puka or hole, but not for long I see the light at the end of the tunnel. "Ron you don't have to feel bad about your failures, you didn't get a business degree, yes you failed many times, and I know your own family ragged on you for that, but you can't quit, keep on going and learn from your mistakes," Terry would say. "Tell you what, read about successful people here in Hawaii, get your imagination going again, you're much to talented and smart to be a failure. Don't listen to them, some of our greatest businessmen in our country failed many many times, but they had great people behind them. Ron, the only thing I can think of that is holding you back from your success, is the people you trust, you got burned by others, and that my friend is the most valuable lesson any businessman can learn, that stuff is only talked about in business school but you've experienced it, that's the best lesson of all, getting your ass burned! Now what do you do about that?"


Hmmmm, so one day I took Terry's advice, first I told him "Terry, you're my idol man, you're a businessman." He smiled, and said, "Yeah but go and read up on some guys that are doing bigger things than I am Ron... see you bumble (later)."


So I read about Eddie Flores Jr. of L and L, it was very interesting, I remember going to L and L before it came to Maui, when friends would say, "Eh we go eat at L and L." I was clueless, I was a Lahaina hick! So we drove to this little spot in Honolulu, and we ate some plate lunches that was very good, you see on Maui, at that time, all we had was Tasty Crust, Archie's, and Sam Sato's which is alright, but when you're on Oahu, it's like when you hit the island, you can find great local food at almost every turn of the wheel.


When I visited Oahu on another occasion, one of my buddies drove to Big City Diner, all I remember was, we drove close to Diamond Head, that's all I remember. And then we got out of the car, and into the restaurant. They were serving breakfast, and it was clean, it was very different, it had this feel about it.... And my buddy told me, "Cuz no shame we going eat!" Okay, I know that man, we're in a freeking restaurant what else? So we ordered two Loco Mocos, the hamburger was out of this world good, totally ono, just fresh off the stove kine, and I instantly fell in love with this place. Big City Diner would be a stop for me when I went to Oahu. But man, it can get busy, and when it's busy it is worth da wait. But I'm telling you it gets very busy, especially if there's some UH event close by. Hmm, maybe I should just look at Big City Diner for some inspiration, they do serve wine, so it makes it a more socially hip local dig you know? Not knocking L and L, but this is plate lunches with a tude.


"So cuz, how's da food good eh?"
"Yeah."
"You like eat one moah plate?"
"Yeah."
"Shoot, no shame brah, we do dis sometimes."


So I ordered a steak with eggs, and I don't remember what he ordered, but I polished two plates at one sitting, sick? No way, being on Maui I was deprived of this kind of dining pleasure. So I ate like over a pound of beef, a combination of ground beef from the Loco Moco and from the New Steak and Eggs. I think I gained a few pounds that morning, but it was just ono!


"Bradda, Maui no moah dis kine place eh?"
"Nope."


So what makes Big City Diner so popular? What makes them awesome? Well, I've never met Lane Muraoka before, but thanks to Twitter, we had a short Tweet. Lane's business is just unique, it is simple, great tasting food at an affordable price. And I remember what my friend Terry told me, it's all about people, and Lane's company has a team of what seems to be great individuals behind that product called Big City Diner, it is a brand. I just want to find out if Lane does any speaking on becoming a very successful restaurateur in Hawaii, heck the nation for that matter.


Lane has a team of chefs, creating awesome local food with hints of our diverse ethnicity here called Hawaii the melting pot of the world. His company has restaurants only on Oahu, I joked with him on Twitter telling him we can't get a good plate past 9 pm on Maui, sure there's several restaurants here, but nothing like Big City Diner. I mean where on Maui can we take friends and family for some good food, to get a simple bento with grilled Spam, their Veri Teri Steak, Fried Chicken Wings, and Chef's Omelet. 


They have dinner specials for kids at less than 6 bucks, and they can get Hamburgers or Cheese Burgers with Skin on Fries, or Pigs and Peas in A Haystack (Diced Ham and Green Peas tossed with All American Macaroni and Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, or Mama's Meatloaf. 


For Pupus, the New York Steak Slices topped with Pulehu Spices w/ Green Onions and Roasted Sesame Seeds sound like a winner, as well as all the other stuff I see on their website, like the Calamari Tempura Strips, Ray Chan's Island Style Poke, and the Nachos look totally good to chow down.



FAMOUS LOCAL CREATIONS
The following creations are served with your choice of Steamed White or Brown Rice (except Fried Rice Dishes*) Add 1.99 to substitute Garlic Smashed Potatoes Instead of Rice Add 1.99 for a Cup of Daily Super Soup or Small Green Salad
BE SURE TO ASK YOUR SERVER ABOUT THIS WEEK’S SPECIALS!
Boneless Korean Kalbi Steak
Boneless Sterling Silver Kalbi Steak marinated in our Secret Korean Style Sauce. Broke Da Mouth!...15.99
Mamasan’s Vegetable Stir-Fry
A medley of Fresh Garden Veggies stir-fried with
Big City Diner’s Secret Sauce and lots of Garlic & Ginger...8.99
(Add 2.99 for Choice Steak, Tofu or Chicken Breast)
Chinatown Fried Min Noodles
Stir-Fried with Fresh Veggies...8.99
(Add 2.99 for Choice Steak, Tofu or Chicken Breast)
Pulehu N.Y. Steak with Grilled Onions & Mushrooms
A Choice New York Strip Steak Grilled Medium-Rare topped with Your Choice of Grilled Onions & Sauteed Mushrooms OR Veri-Teri Sauce...21.99
The Really Loco, Loco Moco
Hot Rice Topped with a Hamburger Patty and a Farm Fresh Egg smothered in Brown Gravy & Caramelized Onions. Real Ono!...9.99
Hamburger Steak with Crispy Onions & Gravy
A huge 10 oz. (before cooking) Homemade Hamburger Patty smothered in Brown Gravy & topped with Crispy Sweet Onions...10.99
Pacific Islander Fresh Catch
The fresh selection of the day Pan-Seared & Glazed with our Japanese Red Ginger-Lime Chili Butter Sauce
and topped with Fresh Lemon Wedge...16.99
*Choice of Tartar Sauce, Wasabi-Aioli or Homemade Fresh Salsa
Pan-Seared Wild Sockeyed Salmon
Pan-seared to seal in its Natural Juices and topped with our Miso-Ginger Sauce and Green Onions...16.99
We’re Open for Breakfast from 7:00 AM Daily
BREAKFAST • BRUNCH • LUNCH • DINNER • LATE NITE • CATERING
Big City Diner


This is good food, not your typical plate lunch, this is food done right with thought, you do get what you pay for. If Maui had Big City Diner, I'd have no problem dishing out 16.99 for the Pacific Islander Fresh Catch, what I do remember though was the Hamburger Steak. Simple is what life is all about. Looking at BCDs concept, the whole value of their company, they'll stand the test of time. And I got friends on Oahu that eat there, so if these folks say it'll be around a while, it will.








No comments:

Post a Comment