CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Aloha from Maui, Hawaii, from the Valley Island, home of Haleakala the 10,000' volcano, and home to many timeshare owners from B.C. Canada.

Today I'm going to blog about food, as usual, and what kind of food? Local Plate Lunches of course…and the plate we'll talk about today is the famous Loco Moco, it is always a topic, a discussion. What's a loco moco? If you don't know what it is, it's a plate that consists of 2 scoops of rice, the white sticky kind from medium grain rice, and a scoop of macaroni salad, made of cooked macaroni noodles, and seasoned with salt and pepper, with some minced veggies, generally onions, carrots, and celery, and tossed around in some real mayonnaise. Loco Moco is so popular, that I need to keep blogging about it.

The star of the Loco Moco is the hamburger steaks, or patties. It has to be cooked first of all just right. It can't be overcooked. And it can't be so raw as well. To me, a perfect patty is about 4 oz. to 5 oz. and having 2 each on a plate would be sufficient unless you eat like a pig. The patties needs to be seasoned, I like to use lots of garlic and onion powder, minced round onions, maybe some minced green onions too. Salt and pepper, some panko flakes, a few scoops of mayonnaise depending on the amount I'm making, some steak sauce, yellow mustard, and some egg whites. When I cook em, I make em really flat and wide, so when it cooks it cooks fast! And when it's thin, you can cut em with a fork. And of course 2 eggs over easy. But you need a brown beef gravy, and you can make that in advance, or if you're cooking small kine, or for just a few people, you can use the drippings from the fry pan that you cooked the patties in, add some flour for the roux, and then add in some canned beef stock, I usually do that. Anyhow, I top the patties with gravy, then put the over easy eggs on top and spoon more gravy over the eggs, making it messy.

Loco Moco always needs to be discussed…am I tired of this? Yeah and no..but I get people asking me about it all the time, usually visitors from the mainland. "Hey Ron what's a Loco Moco?" "Hey dude, tell me about this..this Loco Moco you guys eat?" Well that's what a Loco Moco is, it's 2 hamburger patties (steaks), with gravy and 2 over easy eggs.

Here's some ripped off photos of Loco Moco from Google Images.. again. And I'll probably blog it again.

From inuyaki.com













From crossfindlandvalley.com
















From Tasty Hawaiian Island.com
















Well my friends theres some of the pics from Google Images of Loco Moco, so that is what it looks like. Very comforting foods from Hawaii..but when you look at it, it's not really native Hawaiian food…so when I say Hawaiian Style, it simply means what we eat in the modern day Hawaii. 

Aloha until the next blog which will be about…Loco Moco no doubt..please stop asking me about it already! I want to move on don't you all know?!
© 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment