CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, November 8, 2012

UNDERSTANDING A GUEST WITH A SPECIAL DIET

In these times of bad eating habits, there's a lot of people that are ill, and cannot tolerate certain foods because those foods can make them ill, or can even cause death. I know first hand that I have to watch my purine intake because it can set off a gout attack that can put me out for over a week, the purines morph into uric acid that produces sharp crystal like spikes that attacks the joints, most recently it affected my right ankle rendering me useless without a pair of crutches and the assistance of family to drive me around. The pain is excruciating to say the least, and it is not fun at all. So after some tests and counseling from a dietician, I must omit animal proteins that has moderate to high purines. And of course wherever I go someone is offering me a meal, and I have to ask them what's in it, also I have to eat low sodium to combat my high blood pressure, so asking what's in the meals that is being offered can be offensive to the person that's offering, some don't understand that the steak they're offering me is a prime cut, but it can set me off to a week on the couch with a swollen foot. I'm slowly understanding people with special diets, it is difficult, I'm an adult so I can handle it, but what about kids?

Recently I ran into a little girl who has Celiac disease, a disease that forbids her to eat anything with wheat in it or gluten, her stomach cramps up and she can't go to school, and can't enjoy a happy childhood. "I have to pack her gluten free snacks to take to school," her mom says. "And it is hard because some of the kids pick on her because they feel she's special, she's just like every kid, only with a diet she has to adhere to." If you look up gluten and celiac disease, it is a very popular disease, experts claim 1 out of 130 people in this country has celiac disease.

Or Diabetic patients they must also find foods that are safe, and with that it is extremely difficult when traveling, and finding a restaurant where they can request foods low in glycemic, low in sugars, where chefs use natural flavorings instead of processed stuff, it is very hard, like the Celiac and Diabetic, I understand the frustrations. Once I went to a plate lunch counter, I asked the girl at the counter if the cook can omit the oyster sauce in the stir fry because for gout oyster is a shell fish, and that is high in purines, I requested no oyster sauce to only be looked at with funny looks like, "You gotta be kidding, you want us to go the extra mile for you? Sorry dude that's how we make it, you don't like it take a hike!" It's hard I understand now more that ever that for those with health issues and need special diets, eating out is a task at hand.

This leads me to asking all of you foodies that love to cook in your expensive kitchens, that love to show off your skills you've learned from watching Iron Chef, or Giada, please ask your guests if any of them may need a special meal made or if they can't have certain ingredients, you as a host want to make them feel welcomed, and at ease. If a friend is bringing a friend that is a total vegan, maybe make a dish of just organic tofu, if you are making a big batch of ribs on the grill, and someone can't eat gluten, have some gluten free sauce at the ready. Diabetics, have some diabetic friendly condiments at hand too, you'll make them feel good. Imagine that you have an eating disorder, but you are invited to a party, and you get there, but can't eat a single dish? You'll feel funny, at the same time you know if you do eat what' s there you'll get sick, it is not fun to go out and say, "sorry can't eat any of this."

So understand that if you are hosting any foodie event, ask if anyone is allergic to anything, or if they have a special diet, you'll be the best host ever when people like these come to visit. If you are a food enthusiast, learn about nutrition not just cooking methods, or making your dishes look fancy, learn what's happening in the world of health and foods. Be the ultimate foodie in your social circle, I bet you a million bucks, someone in your circle of friends has a health issue, or just want to eat healthy. Okay go ahead and make grandma's fried chicken and mashed potatoes, but have some low cholesterol foods hanging around the table, like some grilled fish and veggies too. Also I've learned as a cook myself, to not put lots of salt on stuff, let your diners add that on at the table.

Good Luck in finding that right balance.


No comments:

Post a Comment