CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, November 16, 2017

KATSU CURRY @ MIKE'S HONG KONG BISTRO

Lunch time on Maui is all about the local food, especially when you want to eat a whole plate by yourself!


The reason I say that is I've met a couple from England, and the good man says, "Me and my wife had one of your so-called plate lunches, it was the combination plate, and the waiter said that each person gets their own plate. When it came to the table one plate could feed me and my wife. You locals eat a lot."

Well, the plate lunch- well let's stop right here. My English pal says he and his wife ordered the combination plate. Let me elaborate what he got. He and his wife had the same combo plate. And this is what they both got on their plates.

2 scoops of white rice

approx. 6 oz. of teriyaki beef, and approx. 6 oz. of chicken katsu, and a scoop of macaroni salad.

OK that's over a pound of food each, but we locals don't care, we just stuff our faces! It is what we do. Not all the time. I mean I can't go to Kansas and tell them, "Shit you guys eat a lot of ribs, man you eat a lot of ribs." I'd expect them to tell me to go home, and eat something else. We do things with gusto. When it comes to plate lunches, you are talking NO DIETS! And add to that a nice cold large Coke, are you kidding me? You are going to go to sleep Jackson.

"Back home we do eat a little lighter, we could definitely share one plate." My English friend and his wife were in awe of how we eat, or shall I say, how we "Grine!"

So don't be alarmed if you visit Maui or any island in Hawaii, and when you go to buy a plate lunch, the portions are generally just right, in fact, some places when they serve you, you can't close the lid on the styrofoam box. We like that, I mean lots of food, and if we can't eat it all, we give it to someone who is hungry.

But this is what I ate at Mike's Hong Kong Bistro the other day, and nope, I was not going to share it! I mean I would if someone was without food nearby, I'm not a stingy person, but if no one will stop me, watch out, I'm taking no prisoners!


Does this look good? Does this look Yay Yay?
There were like 3 chicken thighs on this plate, and the curry sauce was just right, the mac salad (top right) was just right, not too much mayonnaise, and the rice wasn't too sticky.

© 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment