CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Sunday, May 30, 2010

BUTCHERING MEATS

One question I got the other day from a young man wanting to become a chef, he asked me how proficient I was at butchering meats, my answer was factual, "I am terrible with a knife." He looked at me astonished, "Man I see you whipping up some awesome stuff on your cooking videos, you are joking right?"

No folks, I do have some form of arthritist happening, it runs in the family, my hands aren't as strong as one may think, so I don't butcher meats, or for that matter clean up huge ahi or mahi mahi, I leave that to the experts. As far as young chefs to be, when you take a culinary course to get your certification, you will have a meat cutting course more than likely so as if to give you a basics on how to do it. Like myself, I do know the principals and the methods, but I am not practiced at butchering, that takes years of practice.

I vistited Alex Franco at Maui Cattle Co. and watched the real pros do it, cutting up all of the cattle into the pieces of steaks that we purchase in the markets, Alex told me that he only hires the most skilled people, and it shows.

So if you want to be a chef, just learn how it is done, and "No" you don't need to be an expert butcher to be an excellent chef, a chef's job is to create awesome dishes and meals that are healthy for your customers, but understanding the concepts of butchering does help out, and in the event you someday may need to clean out the loin section, at least you'll understand what you need to do.

Good luck and God Bless you future chefs of America!

Ron Sambrano

For a meal at your place that is healthy contact me ronald.sambrano1@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment