CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

LOSING INSPIRATIONAL PEOPLE

It's been a crazy month. A few weeks ago I lost a good friend in Shirley Fong Torres, a person who always gave me positive vibes, feedback, and was a supporter of what I been doing with food, videos, and trying to get my first cookbook started, even lending me her pictures and a recipe for the book. Losing Shirley this past Father's Day weekend was one of my saddest days. Whenever you lose a friend that supports you, and you're trying to do what she did, it left a hole in my creative life. When I found out Shirley died, really a part of me died too. Like they say, life is too short.


Fast forward a few weeks, and I got word that my brother Harold passed on. I was numb. I couldn't believe Harold is gone. Like Shirley, Harold was a chef, and a foodie, a businessman, teacher, brother, father, grandpa. His affinity for Chinese food was known by lots of people. As a partner in one of Maui's most celebrated Chinese restaurants Ming Yuen and Ming Court, Harold and his staff put out some of the most awesome Schezuan food in the history of this island. Now I lost two inspirational forces in the culinary world, and both of them were supportive of what I was trying to do. Shirley lending an ear all the time, and Harold asking me what I was doing, and also offering his ears, and a few tips on cooking. "God...I miss them, they can't be replaced."


So now where do I go? I go forward, I promised Shirley that my cookbook was going to be done, and I am going to get it done. My brother Harold only two weeks before he died told me, "Finish what you've started, just put God in front of it first." Okay then, though my heart has a hole in it, make that three, my biggest fan was mom who died in 09, Shirley and now Harold, all three were foodies deep down in their souls. I promise you guys, I'll finish what I started, though not having them around... well they are looking down from heaven... Maybe this is God's way of saying to me, "Look man, life is too short so get off your ass and finish it, just do it!" Okay. Okay, this is the real deal now. I'm coming. I'm coming, and like a hitter in a slump, I'll refine my game, I'll remember everything Shirley said, and what Harold said. This makes me stronger, watch out, I'm coming, and I'm not losing this time. Never, I'll not quit, I'll not complain. I'm coming. Watch out because this time I got them on my side in spirit, and that makes a man much more stronger and wiser. Though they aren't here on earth, I feel them next to me as I write. 


 Mom, Shirley, and Harold. They touched the face of God in that order. Now.... it's my turn to carry on the promoting of food, cooking, and all that stuff. I can never ever fill those big shoes my brother wore, I'll never be Shirley with her success, but I'll be me, with their wisdom I'll be me, and continue to show people what food is about, and I'll also keep an open mind to learn more about life and people.


I miss all three of you guys... Ma, Shirley, and now brother Harold. But... I'm coming, I won't quit, I am coming... no one will get in my way... I'm coming, and hopefully when I'm gone from this earth, I will at least transform as many lives that I can for the better.
Chef Harold a month and a half before leaving us


My friend Kelsey and I had a nice time at Saigon Cafe with Harold, the food and time together was classic. Thanksgiving this year was supposed to be a Chinese feast made by Harold. We'll have to get the wok and heat it up ourselves.






My friend Shirley Fong Torres a.k.a. wok wiz


Hard to imagine two of the important people in my life recently is gone. Life is too short. Both of them were Chinese chefs, foodies, business people, and very good human beings. If anything to be learned from my talks with both Shirley and my brother Harold, is this... Just be a good person.

1 comment:

  1. May they both have left their spirit to continue to guide on this earth. Its great to be missed from this world as it means we added value to those around us but very sad for us left behind without the essence of that person. Nola

    ReplyDelete