CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

TOKYO TEI Japanese Simplicity

The old saying goes, "Nothing stays the same." So true. And on Sunday evening November 11, 2018 it was an evening that was meant to be. Me and my buddy Pete from Oahu was just winding down on the MAUI SUNDAY MARKET event in the old Kahului Shopping Center. When all of a sudden Pete says, "Hey Ron is 
Tokyo Tei open tonight?" Since it was a Sunday befor Veteran's day I figured I'd call. And sure enough they were open, and I requested a table for 2 and that we'd be there shortly. The drive only took us less than 5 minutes.

Once there, we were instructed to get to our table in the corner, and once there our water glasses were ready with our salted cabbage. Wow we were styling. The place was busy with lots of family taking out their kids, and grand parents. It was nice to see that. Pete already knew what he was going to order. Teri pork and shrimp tempura. Cool. I figured what the hell I'd order the same thing. I love their tempuras, it's something I can't make to save my life. The batter is always too much like a cake batter, or too thin. Oh well... 

When the food got to our table it was perfect, the pork looked like it was cooked correctly, it had this nice steam coming off of it, plus that nice glossy sheen you know? And the tea was hot and good. The rice perfect, not too soft or too hard like pellets. But the tempura was perfect as always. Crispy light but with some body to it. Not too greasy. Just perfect is all I can say. The tempura dipping sauce was nice and sweet. Just excellent. I ate 2 shrimp and was full. It's huge!

But what got us was when our waitress told us that we were possibly eating our last meal there,f as Tokyo Tei was going to be under new ownership in a month. According to her it was going to be Bernard from Bernard's Bentos and Banquets. OK that's good. But Bernard better not mess it up like changing it all around because that tempura is killer. If he does change it up, like most egotistical chefs do, we did eat our last meal as it was that night. I hope he keeps those recipes. If not, life goes on.

Pete Pao pours the tea at this point not knowing that the restaurant has been sold.

Pete with the rice offerings, shit look how huge that tempura is!

Our waitress letting us know the news, good or bad that the place has been sold!

A work of art, shrimp tempura with a few veggies, what a delightful dish, and it is less than 16.00

So-in the event chef Bernard changes it all around once he takes control, we did sample our last meal at Tokyo Tei. This restaurant has been a Maui staple for decades. My first time here was when my sister Ess took me with her first husband. My friends all good things must come to an end, that's just the facts of life. But enjoy what you have when you have it, because one day it will be gone forever.

If you need any blogging services, call me Ron Sambrano 808-385-7667

No comments:

Post a Comment