CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, January 6, 2011

CHEF TYLUN PANG: WHAT MAUI LIKES TO EAT

If there was any local food book that rings true to those who grew up in the plantation style days, Chef Tylun Pang's book "What Maui Likes to Eat" is a work of art. The stories though short, brings back memories, and I'm not even 50 yet, but those older than me will remember those old days and bring back those good times in their minds and hearts. Pictures of old mom and pop stores where camp workers would go and eat on their time off of work, and gather with family. And Chef Pang's story of him growing up and learning to cook with his dad, making chinese style noodles, the book is really a down home work that is familiar to me as well. I  can relate to Chef's stories, I watched my mom and dad cook their home style grindz, that sticks with me today, though I must say I think my other family members does our parents cooking much better than I do.

I do suggest that you get this book, What Maui Lkes to Eat, I got mine, and thank God I had the chance to get Chef's autograph and share a story. It is nice to meet a chef that is truly local, but his chops are deep stuff, he trained under some classic chefs, and he does have those chops to secure any gourmet gig, but it is his true local roots that makes him really special. If a New York chef has roots in Italian, what is wrong with us local boys doing our local thing which is so much more diverse I think?

On our television shows, me and Danny Agdeppa stick to our true local roots, and even we get calls from mainlanders about how to make our version of a beef stew, or an indoor style lau lua or kalua pork. I really like Chef Pang's views on food, but most importantly life in general. Life is short, family and friends matter, and what better place to have food than with people you love?

In his book there's all kinds of killer recipes I want to try, malasadas, short ribs, cakes, appetizers, all local, all delicious I can tell. What I really respect of Chef Tylun is that he let's his staff create, he has an open mind, and that reall hits home with me, and my countless foodies who got my back too. Simplicity, quality, love of the culture, all that, and man, you got somethin good, no excuse me, excellent!

Yes, What Maui Likes to Eat is a must purchase book, and the monies will go to a greater cause. And when my book comes out, be on the look out for it as well, I really need to make some money soon. Again, What Maui Likes to Eat, at Barnes and Noble.



Book signing Chef Tylun Pang
What Maui Likes to Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment