CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Sunday, September 4, 2011

BRAISE By Daniel Boulud

Man I love working part-time at Barnes and Noble Book Sellers, I get to lick my chops every time I'm in the FOODIE section! Take for instance this book that was published in 2006 by Chef Daniel Boulud and Melissa Clark entitled BRAISE A Journey Through International Cuisine, and let me tell you if you love comfort foods, and you like different foods from all over the world, this book is fantastic, great recipes for the home cook and apprentice chefster. 


After reading the intro to this book Chef Boulud explains that when he hires his employees for his kitchens, he made them cook the foods from their homeland. Since his background was French cuisine, he was inspired and learned from people from other parts of the world that would cook a vegetable a different way, for instance on page XVI INTRODUCTION he carries on in his own words, defining an Indian dish that was braised, it was a lamb curry with spinach and mustard greens. An Indian cook prepared the meal for Chef Boulud, when the braised lamb curry was done, the chef was slightly stunned because the colors of the spinach and greens did turn into a green olive color, totally contrasting to his French cooking where the French try to keep all the vegetables in true colors, this dish didn't seem very appealing at first but Chef Boulud did learn from this Indian cook that after braising for a long time, the lamb, and the greens along with the other Indian influenced ingredients made that meal very rich and flavorful. This coming from Chef Boulud means something, like he doesn't have something stuck up his ass, to me this is a true chef that continues to learn and explore other cultures besides his own. I'm telling you this is a book that you should have in your library. 


It retails for $32.00, but if you got a Barnes and Noble membership you pay 10 % less.


I want to try the Chicken Basquaise with Artichokes, Mackerel with Herb Curry, and for sure because I like Master Chef Boulud grew up eating foods such as Pig's Feet, I want to make this dish called Stuffed Pig's Feet En Papillote. Papillote is French for (parchment) and is a cooking method where the food being cook is wrapped in parchment paper and then braised. Well, I know I can pull this recipe off it is on page 104 in the book.


Well FOODIES, that's my book tip for the night. Good cookin, Peace, Love and Happiness eh?

















No comments:

Post a Comment