CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Friday, September 2, 2011

TIP ON PAN SAUCES by Ron Sambrano

Okay it is yours truly me Ron Sambrano here to give y'all a tip on pan sauces, these sauces are easy to make, my grasshoppers, what is a pan sauce? Why its a sauce made in a pan of course what 'd ya thinks?


As you can see in the photo of myself in our kitchen studio in Lahaina, I got my frisky whisky going full blast and I got some Korean influence sauce running around in a stainless steel pan. (Can't make a pan sauce in a nonstick)


On a recent video cooking show, my job was to make a Korean Style Pork Chop. I seasoned a couple of chops with salt and pepper, heated the pan to medium high heat, and then put some oil inside the pan, and cooked the chops for about 4 minutes on each side. I then plated the chops and covered it with foil. In the pan I left the bits of meat that was left behind, I did not clean it after frying the chops, the bits of meat are all full of flavor. Although if I'm searing a well marbled rib eye, I don't put any cooking oil into the pan.


So into the pan I added a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, and some minced green onions, put it into the pan and reduced its content to about half, what resulted is a very well formed glaze that I topped over the cooked chops. This is called a pan sauce, and by whisking the fond or bits of meat in the pan, the flavors came together very well. Another culinary term for this method is termed deglazing the pan, you can use any liquid concoction to deglaze a pan, wine is very useful, and broths.
2 cooked chops (tent it with foil to keep warm)














Plated Korean Style Pork Chop

No comments:

Post a Comment