CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Friday, May 31, 2013

GARLIC MAYONNAISE HOMEMEADE- Maui

I think I went over how to make garlic mayo before...well, I don't measure anything but I'll tell you how I make mine. Hey I'm getting old, and when I first worked in restaurants, most of the sauces including mayo was made in house. Not today, every place I go to I see the guys in aprons throwing away empty cans of sauces...so...can you really say that, that voted number one chef is really...a chef? Hmmm... Oh well... I mean in this day and age, you don't need a saucier, all you need is a food purveyor and he'll send you anything ready made, and guess what? Some of that shit is really good, why pay a saucier a wage and bennies? Heck if I owned a restaurant, it's all ready made sauces for my biz too.

However, for my buddy in Washington, my pal Hannie... here's a garlic mayonnaise recipe that you can tweak. Just got to remember to use good grade large eggs that holds, if you crack an egg, and the yoke looks runny...toss it out and use better eggs. And when making an egg sauce you need to do this thing called emulsification, that's when oil is added to make it a consistency equivalent to well...in this case mayonnaise.

Recipe and technique for Garlic Mayonnaise or Aioli, you see if you want to charge more for mayonnaise in a ramekin, call it Aioli. If you don't give a shit, call it mayo.

This makes about a cup or two.

6 whole large eggs
2 tbsp. of crushed garlic (you can buy this shit at the market) or get a bunch of cloves and stick it in a processor with some oil and pulse it into a paste.
3/4 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 tbsp. of lemon juice or vinegar
Olive oil to stream into mixing bowl or blender.

1. In a mixing bowl (glass or stainless steel) a nonreactive because of the acids from lemon juice or vinegar. Crack the eggs, add in garlic paste or crushed ones, salt, and lemon juice or vinegar.

2. Using a stiff whisk, beat the eggs and start to mix, then with the other hand stream the olive oil into the bowl slowly and whisk. Keep whisking and adding olive oil until you get a nice mayonnaise consistency which isn't too dense nor too thin. 

Done!

Adjust the seasonings after if you like such as more salt etc. or more tang.

Other variations: Before adding oil, add soy sauce or wassabi, add hot sauce for a hot sauce mayonnaise...the sky's the limit with this wonderful sauce. I mean who doesn't love mayonnaise? Mayonnaise can just add creaminess to all kinds of dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment