CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

TEST KITCHEN: Shoyu Chicken

This morning, we borrowed a kitchen we used to test out a shoyu chicken recipe. First of all, we decided to keep the flavors true to the shoyu side, or the soy sauce side, and not make the sauce sweet like a teriyaki. This is easy, but difficult at the same time, because in a good shoyu chicken, you want some sweet, but you don't want the sweet to be over powering, also you don't  want the chicken to be tasting too salty from the soy sauce.


First off, we used frozen thighs, which to me is the best because it is fattier, more juicy than the breast, or to be frank, the leg section or dark meat works very well for shoyu chicken.


I minced up some fresh ginger really fine, and the same amount of garlic, I love that culinary blend. I utilized about a 1/2 cup raw sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1 1/2 cups soy sauce for the liquids. Minced some green onions and tossed it into the bowl and mixed it up well.


Then I soaked the thighs for about 2 hours, longer works better but because we needed to get out of the kitchen we kinda rushed the job, but that's okay, a 2 hour soak works well too.


I cranked the oven (a gas convection) to 350 deg. f, and then got a roasting pan, and laid out the marinated thighs skin side up. Then I baked the chicken for 1 hour, and this was a 5 pound box. Since the pieces are broken apart, I could have gone for 45 to 50 minutes, but went for a solid hour. What was produced was a nice dark piece of thigh, crisp on the edges, and somewhat juicy on the inside, okay some of the pieces were dry, I think because of the convection system it really heated up the oven well enough to cook through quickly. Maybe if I took it out earlier and let it rest, it would work out better, but would the skin be that crisp on the edges? Well, I am limited on funds to test more of this, so I figure baking it is good, but if you're using a convection, keep an eye on it as it bakes.


Now what did the HTRs say about the flavor? Now keep in mind, my recent testings were all good for some reason, why? Because my Human test rats were always hungry, they'ed eat a live mongoose and say it was great. But today, I struck out a few times.


HRT 1: Ron, it tastes too salty, I think more sweet would be better, and I like my shoyu chicken boiled not baked.


HRT 2: I think it needed to be more juicy, some of the pieces were too dried out, but the flavors was okay, but I hate green onions, WTF did you put that in there?


HRT 3: No, not good Ron, I would not buy this product, for one thing, there's too much garlic in there, the ginger I can handle, but garlic? Is this an Italian dish? And I must agree with the other two, too salty for some reason, needs more sugar.


Okay, that's me striking out, but I'll remember to sweeten it up more the next time, and maybe not bake it. Oh well, that's all part of testing and tasting.


Sorry no pics, the HRTs and the person who owns the kitchen didn't want it all over the internet, hey I'm just happy I got to test this out.


For my upcoming cook/foodbook. Yet to be titled.


Ron.

1 comment:

  1. eh, Ron, can you cook some shoyu chicken at my home? I like shoyu chicken.

    ReplyDelete