CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Friday, January 20, 2012

MAUI CRATER DOGS Kahului Maui

Okay I was turning in our latest video to the Akaku TV station in Kahului on Dairy Road. If you drive to or from the airport they're next to Minit Stop.


After a few chit chats with the Akaku crew, with the likes of veteran programmers, Pete Sullivan, Shawn Michael, CEO Jay April, and long time producer Katt Tracy, I headed to that hot dog stand in the parking lot.
When I got there I noticed a girl in a bikini laying down on the ground...well it was a cut out of a pretty blonde holding up a Crater Dog sign.
I called out to the guy behind the counter, "Hey brah, sup?"
He looked at me and smiled, "Hey man how you doin?"
"Not bad, so how's biz?"
"Oh not bad man, just that the county wanted me to take down that sign of the bikini girl and another sign that was leaning against the palm trees, but it's okay... Hey you wanna try our hot dogs? No worries man, it's on me."
"Okay, my name is Ron."
"I'm Ray... hey do you have a cooking show?"
"Yeah that's what I'm here for, I just turned in our latest show at the station."
"Cool man."
Ray was telling me that the buns are made at Four Sister's in Wailuku, and that the buns have holes drilled in them and toasted on the inside, nice I thought. I watched him as he put the bun on to this steel looking sharp thing, it looked pretty interesting, like a nun chuck with a pointed edge, the bun is slid down and it is toasted so the outside of the bun is soft, while the inside is toasted, so you still get that toasted taste.


Then Ray asked me what kind of flavor I wanted with the Polish dog that was gonna go inside, I chose the JalapeƱo Mustard. He filled it up with the concoction, and slid the dog inside, wrapped it in some foil, handed it to me, and asked me if I wanted a drink, I told him a Coke.


My first thought as I bit into the dog was that it was very good, very simple, but the shit was ono, very delicious. I ate the whole dog, and washed it down with the ice cold can of Coke.


"We get all of the dogs from Chicago," said Ray. "And Four Sister's bakes all of our buns."


Another vendor does the condiments he said so that the products are consistent, hey it's a good gig, they just purchase, put it together and sell. Nothin wrong with that number. When I was done, some County Health inspector came down to ask Ray if he had all the pertinent permits to conduct business, well he did. Though Ray did not own the shack, he ran the place and knew how to handle one of Maui's finest. Ray gave him a dog, he ate the same dog I ate and was on his way. No problem, Ray's shack was legal, polished and shiny.
Go to Maui Crater Dogs on Dairy Rd. They do have Kamaaina rates, the average dog runs around 6.50






























































No comments:

Post a Comment