CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, June 7, 2012

LICK em UP!

Today it was another food video shoot, this time with my buddy Danny D Play Agdeppa behind the Sony Bloggie, we had to improvise, we had to borrow a friend's apartment so we had to keep it down a little, couldn't be our true selves, this is where post production comes in, lots of voice overs.


Danny is holding on to a dessert I made called Bibingka, it is a Filipino coconut flavored, buttery cake sort of thing, with eggs, and milk, and rice flour, and lots of sugar, kind of like a cakey custard. It is usually made with a pan lined with banana leaves, but we did not have any in stock, so we went without it. And then I made a roasted pork loin, with Italian herbs, garlic, salt and pepper with a wine reduction with broth. The loin was only 2 lbs., we used an oven at 350 deg f, with the Bibingka and the Loin in oven at the same time, the dessert took about 40 minutes, the Loin took about 50 minutes and we let it rest on the cutting board, perfect!
This video will be on You Tube type in CHEFBOYMAUI. and it will be on Akaku TV channel 52, on Maui. Title: Lick em UP Bibingka and Pork Loin


Tip: it's always good to get an instant read thermometer when roasting, I haven't roasted in a while, and my roasting senses was simply gone! Danny had to help me look at the loin to see if enough juices were coming out, we were lost, so we had to take it out on a gamble, so it wouldn't burn. We did not have a thermometer, I usually have one on me, but like always, every time you need something, it's not there. The wine we used was an inexpensive Merlot, and it did the job, we used some canned broth to help it through, reduced it to a nice syrup feel, finished it off with a table spoon of cold real unsalted butter to gloss its texture. Ooooo, sort of gourmet going on! 


2 lbs. of pork loin can feed 2-4 people, just do not put too much salt on it. Italian herbs from Mc Cormick worked well, or you can get fresh herbs if you want. I find dried herbs works alright with roasts, where as fresh herbs is great for salads or finishing off soups and stews or even braises
The Bibingka, my favorite Filipino dessert, usually made by street vendors in the Philippines, during holidays, this is so popular in my neck of the woods, if anybody's aunty or gramma sends their Bibingka my way, I'm hoggin the whole pan man! Seriously, the coconut milk adds the flavor, though in the Philippines the chefs there use real fresh coconut milk, I had to use the canned variety, but it worked. And the pan is usually lined with banana leaves, well minus that, we went with good old Pam so it didn't stick to the foil baking dish. Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment