CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

MAUI- A Request for Sari Sari

Sari Sari personally I've never ever made it, so one day I got an email from one of my dear fans, Aunty Mona from south side. In her email, she wanted a Sari Sari recipe, but what is that? I've never made it, nor do I think I ate it. So I start to ponder..."Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." You know real long like that. "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." You get the pic? So I ask some friends, "Hey what's Sari Sari?" They respond with, "Who knows bra, but is the harbors breaking today?" So my friends, they're going surfing, they could care less about Sari Sari.


But Wait! Hey I'm employed at Barnes and Noble part-time. Okay, I bet Jean Hee has it. Jean Hee is my favorite local cookbook author second to none. And sure enough, I picked up her book called Jean Hee's Best of The Best Hawaii Recipes 14.95 smack right there on page 75 is a recipe for Sari Sari. Now since this is a copyrighted material, I am stating that right here right now. This material is copyrighted 2007 by Mutual Publishing, LLC ISBN 10 1 56647 842 1 ISBN 13 978 1 56647 842 7. So I am writing this only to share with you and not make any profits from this article. This is to share with you one of Jean's recipes from her book.


Sari Sari
Yeild: 4-5 servings


1/2 pound Chinese roast pork
1 Tablespoon oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 round onion wedged
1 tomato, wedged
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup water or chicken broth
2 long-type eggplants, halved lengthwise and cut in 1-inch slices
1/2 pound string beans, cut into thirds
1 long squash, peeled, cut into chunks (or 1/2 pumpkin)


Heat oil in a pot. Brown garlic, onion,  and tomato. Add pork, season with salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add water or chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add vegetables, cover and cook until vegetables are tender.


Variation: Substitute pork with 18 medium-size shrimp (31-40 count), peeled and cleaned. Add shrimp when squash is almost done.


Wow! That's seems simple, hope aunty on the south side can get this one.


So if you want some great local Hawaii recipes, Jean Hee's book is great, I flipped through the pages, and my mouth started to water!


Go to your nearest Barnes & Noble and get a copy, it's close to all of the Hawaiian regional cookbooks. If you want to possibly start a fund raiser and looking for recipes, this book can give you lots of ideas. Remember, cookbooks are great but try and tweaking some of the ingredients to make it your own. But if you follow this book to the T you won't be disappointed.


www.barnesandnoble.com

























No comments:

Post a Comment