CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

PLATE LUNCH SERIES FALL 2013 #13

NISHIME (Nee- she- may)
If you've ever went to a local's home and the local was or had a Japanese upbringing, there is no doubt, not one doubt whatsoever that they would serve you Nishime for dinner. So you ask me, what is this dish? Nishime is a Japanese stew made up of vegetables, roots vegetables, and either pork or chicken with the sauce a typical blend for Japanese foods the soy sauce, sugar, mirin, broth, and fried tofu. Some cooks will add in gobo (burdock root), daikon (radish), hasu (lotus root), araimo (Japanese yams), carrots, and shitake mushrooms can't forget that.

I remember growing up and eating this at local delis, those mom and pop markets that were run by Japanese businessmen, or eating this in friends' homes. This dish if you can find it makes a great one entree plate lunch with 2 scoops of sticky white medium grain rice, and 1 scoop of macaroni salad made with everyone's favorite mayonnaise Best Foods Real Mayonnaise, now you're learning what makes a great plate.

So who invented this dish? How did this come about? I don't know, and I don't really care, my take on this like all other great food inventions I want to hug this person who's probably dead by now, but I do want to find his or her descendants and give them some gift certificates to Barnes & Nobles, or Lowes.

Can I tell you a funny story that's related to this dish? Okay, I'm like 11 years old, we're messing around at a beach on Maui, just kids on summer vay cay, and guess what happened? My buddy Ralph (this is just BS), said, "Ron here's some sliced up mackerel, blood is dripping, tie this fish that's all sliced up around your neck and swim out to that buoy and see if you can attract a tiger shark."

I said, "Ok Ralph," and tied that sliced up mackerel around my neck and swam out to the buoy. As I swam, I saw about 12 tiger sharks coming my way, and was I afraid? Of course not junior, you are talking about Ron Sambrano, 11 year old super hero, able to fight off 12 tiger sharks! I grabbed one tiger about 7 feet long, punched him out...or her..dead! Then the next, and the next until all of the sharks were dead...that's right junior...and all the people on the beach why...they were just hold on...let me go to my dictionary app for some words on my MacBookPro 2011 model which I love...hold on. let me look at the app..

Ok I'm back I got it, I was so awesome, that the crowd on the beach were just affected, influenced, moved, stirred up, roused up, excited, amazed, I my friends just simply took their breaths away with my awesome physical act of bravery. What was my reward? That's right you guessed it it was a plate of nishime, with 2 scoops of white sticky rice, macaroni salad, and a large icy coke. I was then featured on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson (yes I'm an old man)... but I was in Time Magazine, Sport, Swimmers Illustrated, I was an overnight sensation. Then I got arrested for killing marine animals, or fish, or whatever...

You liked my B.S. stories? I hope so, I am not to be taken too seriously folks, but make no mistake, I am a foodie just like you. 
WARINING: THE PICTURES BELOW ARE FROM GOOGLE IMAGES AND NOT MEANT FOR ME TO PROFIT OFF OF, HELLOOOOO!
OH LOOK AT THIS, SO ONO (DELICIOUS)
YOU CAN SEE CARROTS, ABURAGE(FRIED TOFU), LOTUS ROOTS, KONYAKU,
AND THE SAUCE UNDERNEATH, HOWEVER I CAN'T SEE ANY CHICKEN OR PORK MUST BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CONTAINER.
HERE'S A DISPLAY OF NISHIME AT A DELI OR OKAZU YA, IT'S THE FRONT PAN. I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THIS PAN WIL BE SOLD OUT VERY QUICKLY..WELL MAYBE NOT IF THIS DELI IS DOWN SOUTH WHERE THEY DON'T LIKE JAPANESE FOOD.
NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT JUNIOR, I SEE CHICKEN AND PORK TOO, I THINK... YES, LOOKS LIKE THERE'S PORK AND CHICKEN..ALL GOOD, ALL GOOD SORRY MY EYES AREN'T THE SAME ANY MORE.

Now this is what nishime looks like, no matter who makes it, it is a good dish, I mean some cooks make it salty, some too sweet...you get the picture. Or not? LOOK MAN YOU CAN'T BE THIS CLUELESS, DO YOU UNDERSTAND? Sorry....let me gather myself...wooo, my blood pressure, and I must my friends go to my anger management classes. But anyhoooo, you all take good care of yourselves. Until the next post on Plate Lunches, I'm Ron Sambrano and you are not!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Grilled Cheese Truck
Aloha Plate Truck
No.1 2013 Great Food Truck Race
Food Network
HAWAII
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COPYRIGHT 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment