CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, December 10, 2015

KATSU CURRY AT MIKE'S HONG KONG BISTRO

It was Wednesday, December 9th and I had to run an errand in the town of Wailuku, Maui. Didn't have a ride, so I called up my buddy Ron, and off we went. Before the errand, since it was lunch time, I figured we go and eat some local food at Mike's Hong Kong Bistro.

My buddy Ron ordered some Kau Yuk pork, and a Hamburger Steak Plate with rice and macaroni salad. And me? I ordered the Katsu Curry. It was cooked the way a chicken katsu is supposed to be cooked, very crispy on the outside, the panko flakes nice and golden brown, while the dark chicken meat is moist on the insides, juicy and tender and not dried up like how some other stupid restaurants makes it. And the golden curry gravy was no doubt a ready mix one, but of good quality. Most likely S&B's Golden Curry mix, mild, no problem with that, I understand buying good quality ready made mixes is a must for some restaurants. As long as that chicken wasn't frozen, thawed and fried I'm good with that. Good, slice it up fresh, panko fresh and fried fresh, all Yay Yay, no worries. It's the totally 'cut the corner' type of dives I can't stand. It's like they charge you an arm and a leg, and you're thinking, "This tastes like the stuff I buy from Foodland in the frozen foods section."

If you are ever on Maui, you want better than decent Chinese and local foods, try Mike's Hong Kong Bistro in Wailuku Town, Maui. Google and Yelp it. 

Check the video out, it's only 22 seconds but you can see what it looks like.

      
© 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment