CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, September 14, 2017

PANCETTA ITALIAN CURED PORK BELLY

Pancetta, what is it? You've probably went into an Italian deli, and seen all these nice pork meats, similar in flavor possibly, but they got contrasting names. Hmmm, "Hey, can I get a pound of that..." Ah yes, been there done that. So let's kind of learn together shall we?

As per my last post, I'm on this sub sandwich kick, thanks to Jersey Mike's Subs in Wailuku, Maui here in Hawaii. So Italians know how to eat good. I love Italian food. I'd say out of all the European styles, Italian trumps all the others hands down. Brit foods? Sorry. French? Ah maybe. German? Nope. I mean Italian foods are generally simply made, and very flavorful and fresh. Heck even the stuff that's made with preservatives are all good tasting. I love how Italians incorporate salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and other herbs into their cooking. Very aromatic. And oh man, can't forget onions and garlic! Can't leave those two mega superstars out of the equation.

Pancetta (pun-chettah) is like bacon, more so than my last post when I said Prosciutto was like bacon. Well, it's all pork, but the cut for the Pancetta is more so like bacon.

Pancetta is usually cured with salt, and herbs, and white wine. Like Prosciutto it can be slow aged and cured for up to 3 months. However there is some things vital to know before eating Pancetta. It needs to be heated through before cooking. Unlike Prosciutto that can be eaten (cold). Heck, if in doubt, heat everything up. But I have friends that do eat it cold as long as it is sliced very thin. Go figure. But like I said, just heat it up if you are in doubt. The curing process should make these safe to eat cold/raw. I'll leave it up to you guys.

Pancetta Arrotolata (Rolled). Pancetta Stesa (Flat).

Pancetta Arrotolata is mainly cut thin, eaten raw and usually part of antipasti, or part of a sandwich.

Pancetta Stesa is usually cut into thicker cubes or strips and grilled. Used like bacon, by sautéing it in a pan, rendering the fat can add flavor to soups, stocks, and sauces.

In either case, Pancetta can be used exactly like bacon. Again, the thin slices can be eaten raw, but if in doubt heat it through!

Pancetta Arrotolata (rolled)

Pancetta Smoked Rolled

Pancetta on pizza

Check out this link PANCETTA from Dietz & Watson, it is their product Sweet Pancetta.

The best Italian charcuterie will be found in finer delis, or butcher shops. I guess if it's price that matters you may be sacrificing quality. It's proven in life, if you want the best you have to pay for it.  So go out and shop around, do some sampling at your local deli. We are learning together here, I'm no expert in Italian foods, so it's nice to read up on it, or watch videos, and I'm seriously thinking of hitting up some of my chef friends who have been cooking Italian for many years. You know-get my Italian cooking chops all nice and sharp. Ciao!

© 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment