CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Friday, September 1, 2017

BATTERED PORK FILIPINO STYLE

The Japanese has tempura, the Brits got Wellington, the Koreans got jun, the Filipinos got, battered adobo pork. 

Back when we were little kids, we went to a lot of Filipino parties at the old Pioneer Mill Clubhouse, located off of Highway 30, and Lahainaluna Road, in West Maui. The foods were really good, in fact the best Filipino foods I experienced was at this clubhouse. It was a cool spot, right next to the mill, everyone that worked there showed up for all the parties because the camps were a tight knit community, you had a party for any occasion, everyone came by. In fact the pig killing was ceremonial. Several pigs were killed if it was a big event. A table setting was made up of long party tables and benches joined together, with that white freezer paper taped around it, and for a toothpick holder, oranges were used, that's right the fruit orange. Toothpicks were pierced in each orange, so when you needed one, you plucked one out, and guess what, you had an orange flavored toothpick. 

But one of the dishes was this pork adobo flavored pork rib, cut into larger than bite-size pieces. It was simmered in vinegar and spices, and then battered with egg and flour. I attempted it, and it didn't work because instead of the ribs, I used a pork butt.

Pork Short Ribs
With some fat is what makes it good

OK so I used the wrong cut of pork, go call the cops, call the Feds, arrest me, take me to the gallos why don't ya. So I took a pork butt, a whole piece, and trimmed it, and cut it into cubes.
15 lbs. Trim it yourself and save!

The cubed pork is simmering in some vinegar,
salt, garlic, bay leaves, fresh pepper corn cracked, 
until it was fork tender about 90 minutes.

The cubed pork pieces are cooled down on 
a baking sheet. It tasted pretty good at this point

Hot oil welcomes the egg/flour battered pork
fried golden brown. 

The finished fried product, cooling and ready to eat.

The kids loved it, so did some friends, despite that, I the cook did not find this product worthy of those Filipino cooks that made this dish long ago. I can still taste it, it had bite! It had an oily texture, but still some crisp to it, and it was moist on the inside. This was my favorite, well not this one that I made, but you get the gist of it all. I will try again, and not quit! I am not a quitter! I am not looking back! I will conquer. OK nuff said. You want the recipe? Maybe next time. Hahahahaha!

© 2017







No comments:

Post a Comment