CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, September 14, 2017

PROSCIUTTO- ON THE SUB TOPIC

Lately I've been on this sub sandwich thing. Could not get it out of my system period! God help me! I'm constantly thinking of sub sandwiches.





A few nights ago I went to JERSEY MIKE'S SUBS in the Maui Lani Shopping Center here on Maui Island, and it brought back memories. When I was in high school there was a cool sandwich shop located down stairs at the 505 shopping center on Front Street here in Lahaina Town. This was really the first deli in town that I had come to know as well-a deli. Long French rolls sliced down the middle, and then placed on a steamer to soften the loaf. And then I'd always get the roast beef with all the lettuce, onions, tomatoes, mayo, mustard, it was wrapped in paper. Cool. And what a place to go when you are all stoned and got the munchies! Togos was the name of this deli, it had this really good smell to it you know? Like food. Good food. And there were these two large Sony speakers playing good rock music. Pat Benatar, The Blues Brothers, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, man those were good times.

So Jersey Mike's Subs got me on this sub sandwich cultural kick again. The guy at the counter took my order, and another dude was slicing the sandwich meats. Salami, Pepperoni, Prosciutto, just old school. So in this post, we'll just go over some of the meats that one may encounter at an Italian style deli. (And I am not an expert on Italiano, so please all you Italians, do not crucify this Filipino kid)

The first will be something you see on the Food Network all of the time, it is Prosciutto. OK, let's take a look at what this really is. According to online foodies.

Prosciutto 
An authentic Italian style dry cured ham prepared in the Italian tradition, from selected fully trimmed hams that have been allowed to age slowly for 3-4 months.
(Holy _____! That's serious foodie moves!)

So Prosciutto is a ham, everyone must have had it, but never was so curious to what it really was, like I know I've had it, you know, some guy at the restaurant goes, "OK, our special is a chef sub comes with homemade vinegar and oil, fresh slices of salami, and (Prosciutto)." We are like, "OK."

Aged Ham (Prosciutto) thin sliced ready to eat

How's this? Ready for some Italian bread

Rolled appetizers all yay!

Most common Prosciutto 
Really there's different Prosciutto? According the the Miami Culinary, Prosciutto di Parma and Prosciutto di San Daniele del Friuli both from northern Italy are the ones. The main difference is that the Prosciutto di Parma has a more nutty and saltier flavor, whereas the Prosciutto di San Daniele is darker and sweeter.

Recently in 2013 another Prosciutto has been introduced, Prosciutto Toscano. It is cured with the traditional salt, but also with pepper and other local aromatics such as garlic and fresh herbs. It is said by experts that it is meatier earthier, and robust.

OK, if you have ever watched Giada on the Food Network in the past, she always cooked or used prosciutto. It was like, "Hey Giada, are you addicted to that or what?" Hey I should not talk because I love me some Portuguese sausage man, I can eat that ______ every _______ing day! But it seems like every culture, every race has some kind of charcuterie going on.

I suggest, putting prosciutto in a sub sandwich, maybe with some pepperoni, and salami too. Lots of shredded lettuce, red onions, fresh tomatoes, and oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. I love mayonnaise to the max, however my last sub at Jersey Mike's did not have an mustard or mayonnaise, and it was really really good. No excellent. 

THE YAY :) or  NAY :( SCALE

Is it like bacon: Yay
Can I eat it like bacon: Yay
Can I eat it uncooked: Yay
Is it good with eggs: Yay
Can I put it on pizza and bake it?: Yay
Can I stuff it with cheese and veggies for appetizers?: Yay
Good with beer?: Yay
Good with wine?: Yay 

So for the most basic of foodie questions this one has an 8 out of 8 Yays! It's a happy product! Yay!

© 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment