CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Sunday, April 1, 2012

MAUI Thai Food With A Friend

On Friday, March 30, 2012 my buddy Yukio Konda left a message on my phone, he went on to say in a sad tone, that his mother had just died. Yukio and I went to school together, and he really has no family, his sister is distant, and his brother is in need of help himself. I know what it feels like to lose both parents, it's a sad time.


So on Saturday evening the day after her passing, I invited Yukio to have a happy dinner at Pad Thai Restaurant in Lahaina at the Wharf Cinema Center, it's my favorite Thai dig, because it's small, and the folks there are friendly. P.J. our waitress was super cool. 


Yukio ordered a soup, with chicken and coconut milk, and spicy on the medium, and because he toured Thailand twice in the past, doing a mission, he was familiar with authentic Thai cuisine, more so than yours truly, in fact he wanted to get his soup spicier and hotter the next time around.


I went for the Tom Yum Gai with chicken, and I wanted spicy on the medium also, which was pretty hot for myself, after all what do I know about Thai food? Closest I've been to Thailand was Kauai. And I ordered a small bowl of white rice and some fried Spring Rolls for an appetizer. P.J. was a cool waitress, real friendly.


My job this evening was just to be a compassionate friend, to a brother who just lost his mother, it was a cool evening, me and brother Yukio sharing what it's like to lose a loved one. The food hit the spot, it was Thai food, but comforting as well, Pad Thai has it, Thai comfort food. For 2 bowls of massive hearty soups, rice and the appetizer, it came out to just over 40.00 plus the tip, well worth it, the food was excellent. But the main thing was, I spent it with a brother that needed a friend.
Top photo is my soup Tom Yum Gai, then brother Yukio making the shaka sign, and then me making the shaka sign, and then our mess in the bottom photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment