CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Saturday, August 17, 2013

SOUTH DAKOTA BURGERS

Here I am in Lahaina, Maui- talking to visitors here on an August warm or hot depending on your tolerance to heat, summer's day. And I run into a family from South Dakota. Wow! "Why are you guys here?" dumb question.

"We're here on the last leg of the kids' summer vacation," says the elder woman as she rubs the heads of her two little boys."

"Where are you from?"
"We're from Brookings, South Dakota," said the elder man, also rubbing the heads of his to young boys. Rubbing head, is this a South Dakota thing?

So of course I'm a foodie, and I did my usual getting to know what they were doing already on Maui, like what excursions they did, where they stayed etc., but I cut to the chase after I told them where I eat on Maui, which is home. I'm too poor to afford some restaurant food right now, I do have some lawsuits against some major corporations, I figure at the end of the year I should be awarded $10,000,000,000,000,000.00. Vegas Baby!

This is where they said to go, and it's another burger joint- what? Is everyone I talk to into burgers? I don't care, I love me some burgers all of the time anyhow.

Man: (Excited) Go to Nick's Hamburger Shop! They got these great hamburgers, just tasty, and you can't eat just one, they make em kind of small, so I bet you could eat more.

Me: (Thinking) Hmm, you calling me a pig?
Me: (Talking) No kidding Nick's huh?
Wife: Yeah, the boys love em, it's real simple kind of like In N Out Burgers, small menu but very good, the kind of place where you can smell the burger in the air.
Me: Hmm, thanks guys.

Okay- as usual, I make a call to this place on my T Mobile phone, a lady answers and I ask her what time they close, she tells me 4pm, great, it does exist. So I go on Google and Yelp to see what people have to say besides this family that loves to rub heads from Brookings, South Dakota.

Okay I look at Yelp, and yeah people love em, but... where's all the pictures? I need to rip off some photos guys. Not much but here's what I found.

The building looks like this
I like the looks, old school, almost south westernish, and cowboy sort of. It looks like a mom and pop doesn't it? 

I can just imagine a gang of Harley riders going in here, "Let's git some burgers!" And as they enter the shop, the cops are there trying to rid the riders out of Dodge.







Okay I get it, it does look like little burgers, but simple is always delicious. I'm just looking at those 4 burgers and I know I can eat em all! But, no french fries? What? Are you kidding me!

Now, now Nick's, listen here...and I may not be a restaurant owner, but let me say one thing, "Are you guys nuts? Hamburgers you claim to be great but no fries? C'mon man! Just buy some Ore'Ida's or something, if you don't wanna cut your own potatoes, buy them frozen ones man!

Aw, now I don't know if I want to go to Nick's if I ever visit there...no fries? It's like going to Foot Locker and buy a pair of Jordan's and want to buy socks and the guy in stripes says, "Sorry but we got ah...some towels."



Okay, never mind that, I'd go there I was just kidding, maybe if there's a Mc Donald's close by, we'll drive through there and then get our burgers from Nick's. Let's look at the menu.

WARNING: NICK'S DON'T SERVE FRIES!!!!!

MENU
Burgers:
Hamburger
Double Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Double Cheeseburger

Burger Toppings:
Mustard
Ketchup
Relish
Onions
Pickles

Chips

Homemade Pie

Drinks:
White or Chocolate Milk
Coke
Diet Coke
Mello Yello
Sprite
Rootbeer
Orange
Mr. Pibb
Coffee
Ice Tea

Shakes:
Vanilla
Chocolate
Strawberry
Pineapple
Cherry

* They do take credit cards...since they don't serve fries (just kidding).


Nick's Hamburger Shop
427 Main Ave
Brookings, SD 57006-1935
605-692-4324

Hours:
Monday-Friday 11am-7pm
Saturdays- 11am-4pm
Sundays- Not there went fishing or something.

Visit there website for more info, my hands are tired of typing!!!!! Oh yeah they're on Facebook too.
©2013


1 comment:

  1. Chef, they don't do fries because for decades the wasn't room for fryers as the place opened up in the 1920s. Room enough for 15 stools and that's about it. A recent remodel tripled the space for seating and no one cares for fries. Its quick in and out, simple food options and quick turn around.

    ReplyDelete