What is Chicken Long Rice? Well, it is chicken with long rice what else? Alright alright, relax. This dish can be traced to the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand and Hawaii. Hawaii because all the people from those three countries ended up on the shores on our major islands. Generally this dish is rather soupy, and when the rice noodles soak up the soup, it becomes well...less soupy. I like mine soupy, don't want it mushy however I won't complain if someone made it for me mushy, I don't turn down free food. Are you kidding? Free food? Turn it down? "No way Batman!"
What's in this dish? How would Chef Ron make it? Okay, here we go.
Below pic of a dish of Chicken Long Rice from Google Images
Here is the recipe for Chef Ron's Chicken Long Rice
1 tbp. vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken breast, meat shredded or diced
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger
6 cups of chicken broth low sodium
1 1/2 tbp. of fish sauce (Patis)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
2 small bunch of long rice noodles cut in half (this will be hydrated in the hot soup)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. In a large enough pot, heat up the oil over medium high heat, sautee the chicken, garlic and ginger until the chicken has turned brown and some juice has been released.
2. Add in the broth, and turn heat up to high, once the liquid bubbles and boils lower heat to medium.
3. Add in fish sauce, stir and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add in the mushrooms and then simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add in the cut long rice, and let the noodles soak so it gets softened. Off heat, and then add in the green onions. Serve hot.
Season with salt and pepper as needed or more fish sauce per diner.
Until next time be cool!