CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Yellow Fin or Yellow Tail? Maui Fish Info

Someone asked me, "Ron are you a fisherman?" I said, "No not really, I mean I know how to fish, but I'm not a fishermen like some of my friends, I mean if I really had to fetch my own fish, I can do it, but as an avid fisherman? No really." Then this someone who was from the mainland wanted some clarification, what is Yellow Fin and what is Yellow Tail?

Let's take a look at Yellow Fin, this is an Ahi, a tuna class fish that is caught in deeper waters, more than likely you've had Ahi here because it is a very popular fish and is used in most sushi bars, the meat is nice and red and firm, and sweet, when fried or seared it can develop a nice tender crust.


Photo: http://www.oceanlight.com/
Diver with Yellow Fin (Ahi)





















Yellow Tail (Amberjacks) are silvery like the tuna (Ahi), but the fish in question is found in waters off of California/Mexico; Hawaii; New Zealand and South Pacific, and in the Japanese seas, Yellow Tails may look different from different regions, but all are from the jack families of fish. Yellow Tails can have meat that is firm, and lightly pink, to reddish, it is called Hamachi in Japanese lingo, and is great for sushi and cooked. The picture below is from http://www.mexfish.com/ and is a Yellow Tail caught off the coast.












No comments:

Post a Comment