CHEF SAMBRANO Food Articles Video Recipes

PERSONAL CHEF

PERSONAL CHEF
FOOD FOR REAL PEOPLE

Friday, February 18, 2011

Maui- Interview w/ Dave a Waiter (Annonymous Location)

This is an interview with Dave a Californian who moved to Maui several years ago, he's a waiter at a casual diner on Maui. I asked him some questions about being a waiter.

1. How long have you been a waiter?
A: I have been waiting tables since I was 21 now I'm a little older but I love people and love food.

2. For someone who is thinking of becoming a waiter, what makes a good waiter?
A: You have to hustle, you have to be a salesman also, you need to know how the foods are cooked, you need to be friends with the kitchen staff, don't be lazy, I'm a hyper person naturally, but you need to understand the customer's needs as well, they might have an allergy, and they might have health issues, and ingredients need to suit them.

3. What was the most tips you've made in one day or night?
A. Well, because this man was kinda ill, he was actually dying of some illness you know? Anyhow, his family was sad, of course they were, I tried to make them feel special, they had no idea about local fish, so I gave them the whole run down on it. I mean I don't fish,, but you gotta learn about it. Long story short, I just tried my best to make them feel at home. After the dinner, the guy's daughter comes back with an envelope, it's a letter stating that this may be the last meal the dad has outside of the home, and that her whole family was happy that his last possible restaurant meal was a happy one. That was a lot in itself, but the cash they left inside, let's just say, it was the biggest tip I ever made period, I won't say how much, but it was a lot, but like I said, even if that cash wasn't there, the letter of appreciation was gold.

4. What about chefs, how do you work with egos?
A. Yeah well, chefs do have that, well, I just try to be nice about it, after all the kitchen staff does work hard, and not everyone will love the food when it's made. It's opinions really.

5. One word to describe being a good waiter?
A. Work

Dave didn't give in to let me prop the place where he works, okay fine with me, but if he did, the place where he works would be happy. Maybe Dave is hiding from the mob?


No pictures sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment